Thursday, December 21, 2006

Last night I was at a meeting at church, when these two young fellows came in. One of them, I knew, the other I didn't. They asked for the former Youth Director, but somebody in our group told them that he'd gone home. They said they'd come to wrestle. That caught my attention, of course. Apparently our former YD, a former amateur wrestler as well, was going to work out with these guys or coach them or just provide them a place to wrestle somewhere there at the church.

A couple of things stayed in my mind after that. First, I thought about the former YD, and, again, how difficult it must be for those who have participated in wrestling when young to continue to participate as an adult. How does a man who loves to wrestle find others or outlets for exercising that love?

Second, I want to look into this and find out what was about to take place. The young man I know is thin, which isn't my preferred body style, but the stranger was husky, built much more like a wrestler. Maybe I could get in on this wrestling, and maybe one of the men I know that I'd like to wrestle could be brought in as well. A whole series of events that would put me on the mat with one of these friends and wrestling crushes played out in my mind.

I recently read a blog from a guy in a church somewhere in the USA who was promoting a wrestling program at his church as a means to develop young men's (teenagers') character. Probably he's never met the likes of me. Not that my obsession with wrestling hurts my character, but involving me with wrestling in an attempt to build character might not work out as planned.

I've wrestled at church before, but that's a story for later.

No comments: