Friday, December 29, 2006


For a brief time in 1997, Applebee's became "Wrestling Central" for me. Not to say that I wrestled at Applebee's, but I spent a good bit of time with wrestlers at various Applebee's locations. Sometimes we met there for conversations, sometimes for pre-match meetings to get a feel for each other before we committed ourselves to trunks and the mat. For a long time after this series of meetings--four of them, I think--I couldn't go in an Applebee's without thinking about wrestlers and wrestling.

I wanted to wrestle this one guy, AB, who lived a couple of hours away from me, not far from a city to which I was commuting a couple of times a week to earn my doctorate. For some reason AB and I couldn't wrestle on the day that I was passing through, but we met at Applebee's to talk about wrestling and get to know one another a bit. This was my second meeting with a wrestler, and a little of the nerves remained. But soon after we sat down at our table, I relaxed and had a good chat with him.

I'd seen pictures and profiles of AB online, and so I knew more about him than he knew about me. He'd done some training with a professional wrestler, which interested me. I enjoyed hearing about his experience in the ring. Although this meeting took place several years ago, I seem to remember that AB had his first professional match coming up soon after our meeting. I don't remember where it was to take place, but I'm guessing that it was most likely either at the gym where he trained or some local National Guard Armory or middle school gym.

AB was gay and into wrestling the same way I was, and my limited experience at the time led me to wonder how he could get in the ring to wrestle without fearing a "public" erection. I was certain that any wrestling I might do would inspire a constant erection, perhaps even a spontaneous ejaculation. I couldn't picture wrestling in public or with a man who didn't understand how that might happen. I've come to find out that, once the wrestling gets underway, I typically don't have any sort of obvious erotic reaction to it.

AB and I hit it off well that day, and I was sure we'd wrestle sometime in the not-too-distant future. But it was not to be. Although we never saw each other in person again, we would have a falling out that would lead him to break all contact with me. . . .

Coming soon: a story about the second guy I actually got my hands on. The wrestling wasn't great, but the guy's story--told to me at an Applebee's--was amazing.

No comments: