Saturday, November 10, 2007



Well, the end of October turned out to be a difficult and disappointing time. I was so looking forward to wrestling on the 29th in Indianapolis and the 30th in St. Louis, but then on the 24th, I came down with the flu. As much as I tried to get better to make the matches I had scheduled, it didn't work out. I made my trip as planned, but I had to cancel the wrestling I'd set up. I was disappointed; my "opponents" were disappointed, although they showed me great support and understanding.

Not only was I sick, but I lost the desire to wrestle. This happens to me now and then. I just don't feel like wrestling, and so I don't want to wrestle. Makes sense, right? The same happens when I get busy at work and life like I have been lately. I don't think about wrestling, and as a result, the facts that I've actually wrestled and actually liked wrestling seem foreign to me.

This morning, a little of the old desire began to creep back into my mind and body. More than likely, I'll be ready to hit the mats again soon.

I think life is like this too. When we're sick--it's not that we don't want to live (generally). We lose a sense of how enjoyable life is when we're burned up with fever or weak and aching or shaken hard by coughs. Living takes a back seat to surviving. And then we get too busy, and life takes a back seat to workworkwork and runrunrun. We're wrestling with life and losing. I guess that's the thing. We have to keep wrestling to keep our heads clear, to keep our bodies in shape.

It's all about the contact. We have to make contact with life and each other, whether we're wrestling or just living. So, regardless of sickness and overwork, stay in touch. Keep a good hold on your opponent, friend or foe, and always be thinking about your next move toward winning or at least enjoying yourself.

No comments: