Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Joke . . . Or Not

A man died and went to heaven. As he stood in front of St. Peter at the Pearly Gates, he saw a huge wall of clocks behind him.

He asked, "What are all those clocks?"

St. Peter answered, "Those are Lie-Clocks. Everyone on Earth has a Lie-Clock.

Every time you lie the hands on your clock will move."

"Oh," said the man, "whose clock is that?"

"That's Mother Teresa's. The hands have never moved, indicating that she never told a lie."

"Incredible," said the man. "And whose clock is that one?"

St. Peter responded, "That's Abraham Lincoln's clock. The hands have moved twice, telling us that Abe told only two lies in his entire life."

"Where's President Bush's clock?" asked the man.

"Bush's clock is in Jesus' office. He's using it as a ceiling fan."


A funny thing, this. A thing more frighteningly true than our nation will admit. I think our lies, our national sins, from the current president downward in the socio-political structure and backward through time, must raise a mighty wind in Heaven.

I have to wonder about my fan. How much of what I do is real and how much a performance? I wrestle with life more and more as I grow older, perhaps in an effort to remain alive in all the senses of that word. But any false steps, false smiles, set the hands on my clock to whirling. How many things in life do I claim to feel the correct way about and yet don't really feel that way? Do I really care for the poor and ignorant? Do I really care about those caught up in violence and addiction? I hope I do. I want to believe that I do, but that's not the same as actually doing.

These are aggressive questions and to wrestle with them is to keep open the possibility that I am "actually doing," that I am actively living and caring.

Just some thoughts brought on, perhaps, by a gray day outside my office window.

No comments: