Thursday, May 17, 2007

Last night went well--not exactly according to plan but close enough. The city and its environs were slowed down by rain, so B was a little after 6:00 arriving. I'd already dragged furniture here and there around the motel room to clear a space by the window. I pulled the middle cover off the bed and spread it out for a mat. When Bill got there, we chatted for a few minutes, then changed and started wrestling. He's a great big man--6'2" & 275 or so, I'm guessing--and lots of fun to wrestle. I got caught in some good head and body scissors holds, and I caught him in a couple as well. I'm sure he's a much better wrestler than I, but he made sure that we stayed about even. I thank him for that.

In between falls, we talked a lot about a lot of things, from gay line-dancing to local food to accents to teaching. I enjoyed myself, and I think he did too.

A, the other wrestler for the evening's event, got caught in horrible traffic and was also late. When he got there, the three of us talked for almost an hour before any more wrestling took place. We talked politics and the local road system, among other things. B & A are entertaining together, and much of the time I just sat and listened and laughed.

A and I wrestled three falls. Like B, he worked at my pace and experience level and even let me win one submission from him. A is tough and fun to wrestle, and I think that if I were able to get with him on a regular basis, I'd be a much better wrestler very soon.

My falls with A were followed by a couple of falls between B & A. These two guys know each other and are obviously comfortable together. I enjoyed watching them wrestle, although it wasn't all that I expected. Because they know each other so well, they each know what the other likes. A lot of the action I couldn't see and didn't really need to see. I could tell what was going on, and while it held a certain level of excitement of them, it didn't do that much for me. So my longstanding fantasy of watching two other men wrestle right in front of me didn't turn out just like I'd hoped. But, then again, it isn't all about me, is it?

All in all, I had a great evening with these two new friends. They made me laugh, and they wrestled me in just the right way to allow me to feel like I could wrestle a little bit too. And they provided me with some much needed company in the middle of a lonely trip.

No comments: