Friday, January 12, 2007

Today at the gym I saw a co-worker--the guy from another department, whom I've mentioned before--working out on the weights. I'd just started my walk in another part of the gym when I saw him and decided by the end of the first lap to go down to the weights and begin my workout there. Actually, that's what I'd planned to do and then forgot as soon as I walked in the front door of the place.

Anyway, I finished a lap, grabbed my glasses from the locker where I'd stored my stuff and went back downstairs to the weight area. I got off a "Hello," but that was about it. I was still doing reps when he left the area and went somewhere else.

Oh well, I thought and finished with the weights. When I started back toward the stairs leading up to the track, I looked and there he was walking a lap himself. I went on up, and put my glasses back in the locker and got out my mp3 player.

Just at that moment he came by and spoke. I joined him for a rather slow walk through several laps. We talked about this and that--work, doctors, weight, exercise. I was just about to introduce the idea of wrestling as an exercise idea for two big fellows who need more of a cardio workout than the walking gives when he was finished with his laps.

Darn, I thought. I almost got the suggestion out. I put my headphones on, picked up the pace and walked a couple of miles. Then I ran about a half mile, an activity that isn't friendly to my old knees.

Maybe another time, he and I can pick up our conversation where we left off. I have no idea if he would be interested at all in wrestling, but I know that to lose the weight, he's going to have to get that heart rate up more than his walking is doing. Seems to me that a couple of wrestling sessions a week--even if these began with only three or four falls in a fifteen-minute session--would do us both a lot of good.

No comments: