Friday, May 23, 2008

Rarely does it fail that when I get a little downtime from work and life my mind turns to wrestling. I can spend hours thinking, writing and surfing wrestling. What I can't do, of course, is spend hours wrestling. Those opportunities come few and far between, but I tend to enjoy them when they come along.



I recently received a note from a bodybuilder/wrestler that I've been aware of for awhile now. He looks like he'd be fun to wrestle, but I hesitate to contact him. Something tells me that he's just out for himself and what he likes. I don't mind that if it happens that what I'm interested in becomes a consideration as well. I don't know if that would be the case here. So I'll think about it.



Meanwhile, I've been thinking about a former friend that I never got a chance to wrestle. We had a conversation about wrestling one day at lunch, but it never led to our considering actual wrestling with each other. Of course, I thought about it a lot, but I don't know that he ever did. I want to say that he did, but I don't know. Anyway I came across a couple of pictures that got me thinking of him. He's the guy facing the camera here, and I think that my former friend decked out in a pair of black trunks would look a lot like this. Unfortunately, the guy with his back to the camera doesn't look anything like me, so I don't get that easy picture of myself wrestling my big friend.



But I do get the opportunity to see a hint of my favorite hold being applied to this stand-in of my imagined opponent. Again, the man going for the head scissors here doesn't look much like me at all, but I can easily imagine that the big man about to go down in the hold is the guy I wanted so much to wrestle and never did. As I've said here before, I'm sure, I have several men in my life that I'd like to strip down and wrestle. If we were kids together, a good backyard or pool match would be more likely than not when we are together. But as we become adults, regardless of our interests, the notion of doing something like this--of wrestling for fun and the pleasure of the friendly competition--becomes so remote as to exist only in a memory or a dream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love both the pictures! Yeah, I'd definitley like to take that guy on as well. The bigger they are... (you know the rest).

Anonymous said...

Ringer
Recently met two new opponents in a week's time, as different as night and day, one very large and unsure, 6'5" 340 lbs, insecure, inexperienced...the other 6'4" 215 lbs, very experienced, very comfortable wrestling...but they both had absolutely none or little training...the one always wanted to wrestle, the other wrestled all the time without 'knowing' how...Well I took the time out to introduce them both to very basics, learning their capabilities, what suits their built and style, using their size, height, agility or mass to it's best advantage...needless to say, after a 1/2 hour or so of explaining, experimenting and trying out holds and manuevers...I have had the best wrestling week since I can remember...because they 'got it' and we had a good time, learning and doing together, two happy grapplers left, two more friends made...
I only hope to lock my unforgiving headscissors on you someday RINGER...and show you what a 'friend' I can be to you as well.
Let's Wrestle....
GrizzMO

Ringer said...

You must be a good coach, GrizzMo. I look forward to your head scissors. And I hope the day we meet isn't the day your worlds collide as you predicted in another contribution to this blog.