Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Wrestling II v. Tony Russo

I always enjoyed watching Wrestling II in the ring. And Tony Russo was my favorite jobber working in Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling back in the 1970s and '80s. (This particular match was part of a 1985 TBS show.) I liked Russo's look--a real fireplug, stocky and strong. He has his moments in control, of course, but he's best at making his opponents look good and really selling their holds (and his struggles) to the crowd.

If you're familiar with this blog, you know my affinity for--obsession with--the head scissors. This match has one of the best TV head scissors I've ever seen beginning at 2:12. Wrestling II locks it in tight and makes it look strong, and Russo sells it beautifully. I think what really gets me in this one is the camera work. The camera shoots from a nearly perfect angle and at just the right distance to let the wrestling fill the screen. In other words, it's not just a head trapped between legs, and it's not just legs wrapped around a head. Russo's face sells the hold as his belly breathes. Just great! Enjoy!



More writing about wrestling to come soon. Promise.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Just discovered your wrestling blog and love it! I’m mid 50s and grew up watching the good old school wrestling which unfortunately is no more. Wanted to watch this Tony Russo match but it’s no longer on a You Tube unfortunately. I found this match with Mr Wrestling 2 vs Les Thornton though that I think you’ll like. It features 3 headscissors by Thornton and really good mat wrestling. Enjoy and keep doing the blog! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Pdi-S73A0

Ringer said...

Thanks for checking out the blog, Steve. Glad you like it. Sorry about the Wrestling II v. Russo video. I appreciate your letting me know that it had gone away. I appreciate the Wrestling II v. Thornton link. Great match! I hope you'll stop by again. More writing about wrestling coming soon.