Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Here's the brief story of an odd little match I had a few years back. I can't remember exactly when it took place, but I'm guessing that it was sometime between 2002 and 2004.

I was in contact with this fellow from Atlanta, Georgia. Although I don't remember who first contacted whom, we chatted back and forth via email for a bit and then scheduled a match. We were to meet in Knoxville, Tennessee. He was coming up from Atlanta to Nashville for work and then he was going to drive from Nashville to Knoxville for our match.

The day was beautiful--early spring, I'm thinking--when we met at a truckstop on the east side of Knoxville. Once we made contact, we went straight to a motel at that same exit. He checked in, and I assumed he intended to stay the night there after we wrestled. Once he was in the room, I came in, and we decided rather than move stuff around to use the tiny floor space available we would just wrestle on the king-sized bed. Not my favorite thing to do, but we do what we gotta do.

Once we had talked for a few minutes, we changed and started to wrestle. We probably hadn't been at it for more than five minutes when I got him in a head scissors. He submitted too quickly. Then he got up and said he had to go back to Nashville. I guess I could've argued, but that's not my style. In addition to that, I think I was just stunned.

So, he drove the three hours from Nashville to spend x-amount of dollars on a motel room and wrestle for five minutes. So, probably within 30 minutes of meeting him at the truckstop, he was gone and I was on my way to see another friend in Knoxville--who wasn't expecting me until two or three hours later.

I never heard from that guy again, and I came close to developing a complex from that meeting. It was a heck of a thing.

No comments: