Thursday, June 25, 2009

An Email

Here's an email that I wrote this morning to a friend of mine. Like many friends I have these days, I've never met this man. We communicate solely via email and blog. These are means of communication for which I'm grateful, but at the same time it's a shame that we might never meet in person.

Great to hear from you, Xxxxxxx. I hope life is going well for you in every way, and I'm glad that you're still checking out the blog and keeping in touch from time to time.

The play has bogged down for the moment but only because I've been getting back into a mystery novel I've had under construction for some time. Although I don't always write about wrestling, the novel features a good bit of it as well. I'm currently at around 207 pages.

I agree about the intimacy issue. Wrestling is an intimate activity, no question about that. The assumption often is, then, that to enjoy that intimacy outside sanctioned events--organized wrestling bouts, amateur or pro--suggests homosexual activity or, at least, homosexual desire. But to me this isn't the case. To enjoy wrestling, to enjoy the intimacy of physical contact with another man, isn't, for me, homosexual in nature. I recognize the obvious homoerotic in wrestling, but I understand that as being different from the homosexual. In fact, much pro wrestling foregrounds the homoerotic, and fans are, oddly, either oblivious to it or, what's even more intriguing, comfortable with it.

Interesting stuff to think about!

All best--Xxxxxxx

1 comment:

Mark Ressler said...

Exactly!